Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Slightly-Used Year Resolutions

OK...so now we are well past New Year and the sun will shine an extra 3 minutes and 52 seconds longer today than it did yesterday, I think it's just barely safe to make some resolutions. So, for the rest of 2007...


I promise not to look on the timeanddate.com website every day to see how much longer the daylight is today than it was yesterday, and then feel a little smug like I had something to do with it.

I promise not to use less daylight as a reason to sleep in and wear a wrinkled shirt in the morning.

I promise not to pick on Tom so much.

I promise that, in the event I cannot keep the above promise, to pick more on Kitty to balance things out.

I promise not to have popcorn for dinner three nights in a row and and then justify it by calling it a cleanse.

I promise not to have another cigarette...except in my dreams, which I can't help, and is really driving me frigging crazy.

I promise not to be disappointed in myself for the things I do in my dreams.

I promise to go on more dates with nice boys.

I promise, in the event I cannot keep the above promise, to go on more dates with not-so-nice boys.

I promise, in the event I cannot keep either of those, to get a cat.

I promise not to have a hundred cats by the end of the year. Or ever, for that matter.

I promise to actually clean my bathroom when in danger of having company, rather than just a surface swipe and a prayer to Martha Stewart that they won't drop anything on the floor.

I promise not to be offended by the phrase, "Oh, so you're the 40 year-old friend I've heard so much about!"

I especially promise not to scratch her eyes out.

I promise not to be offended by the phrase, "You look great for 41!" regardless if it's coming from a nice or not-so-nice boy.

I especially promise not to scratch his eyes out.

I promise to dress my age, whatever the hell that means, Mother.

I promise to improve my Spanish.

Prometo mejorar mi ingles.

I promise to learn all the words to Nothingman.

I promise to pay more attention and not be so flighty.

What was I doing?

I promise to try and not be such a needy pain in the ass and drive everyone nuts because I have to be involved in everything all the time. Whatever, I promise to get better at punctuation?

I promise to ask for more help.

I promise, if I can't get it or make it happen myself, and I really want it, to ask for it.

I promise to never let anyone important leave without being certain he knows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since it's three months and twelve days after the new year, I suppose the time has come for a certain talently and much wiser older relative to comment on your so-called resolutions.

Problem is, the actual resolutions are one window back on my stupid computer now, so I can't see them anymore and have to work from memory, which at my age is a somewhat spooky undertaking, at best.

Anyway ...

I think the cat one is good.

The nice boys one, too.

What exactly was that on the bathroom floor?

Popcorn is recognized as a legitimate food group by the Orville What'shisname Institue in Cornpone, Iowa.

Dreams are the windows to your soul (as if you have one), you hopeless tobbaco addict.

Expected to see one about playing more tennis..

How about the odd round of golf with certain extremely talented and ever-so-slightly older relative?

Have forgotten all the other resolutions already.

You had no intentions of keeping them anyway..

Oh ... I also liked the one (as if there was one) about calling a certain fabulously talented and getting ever-so-slightly-older-every-day relative once in freaking while? Huh? Would that be so freaking hard?

Did I mention the cat one sounded good?